Post: Corporate Events Manager Contract: Permanent Full Time
Site: The Bath & West of England Showground, Shepton Mallet Reports to: Head of Commercial Enterprise
The Royal Bath & West of England Society is a charity that was set up in 1777 to promote and encourage Agriculture, Manufacture, Arts and Rural Crafts through an innovative approach to education and knowledge transfer. The Society is best known for hosting the Royal Bath & West Show which it has done for 155 years, with the last 53 Shows being hosted on our own showground at Shepton Mallet, but the work of the Society is much wider.
The business of the Society is in four parts: –
• Hosting financially viable agricultural and rural shows
• Gaining best commercial value from our showground
• Developing superfluous land to release capital for showground improvements
• Delivering our charitable objectives, including the creation of a new Rural Enterprise Centre.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE POST
Working under the auspices of Bath & West Enterprises Ltd, the Society requires an experienced, enthusiastic and highly motivated individual to support the Head of Commercial Enterprise within the small events team with a focus on developing our corporate/business meeting business through lead generation and sales.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join us at an exciting time as we work towards a new business strategy strengthening our position as the largest and number one event venue and exhibition centre in the South West.
This role presents the right candidate with an excellent opportunity to enhance and further a career within the venue hire and events industry.
Furthermore, the successful candidate will be supporting colleagues in the Royal Bath & West Show team with elements of this iconic event
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Supporting the Head of Commercial Enterprise with existing event client management.
• Taking an active role in the development of the new strategy and business plan
• Be the first point of contact for tenants and event clients of the Rural Enterprise Centre
• Developing and delivering a strategy to sell more event space to the corporate and business market centred to increase weekday revenue
• Dealing with a variety of incoming enquiries for hire of venue spaces from both indoor and outdoor space high end productions through to conferencing and small meeting room requirements
• Taking an active part in the administration and operational elements of the enterprise business
• Under the guidance of the Head of Shows, be responsible for booking and managing artistes performing at The Royal Bath & West Show
• Deputising for the Head of Commercial Enterprise as required
• Any other relevant duties that the Head of Commercial Enterprise sees fit to allocate
• Higher level qualification in event management or similar.
Knowledge & Experience:
• Previous experience in venue management/visitor attractions/corporate events is desirable
• Experience of actively managing budgets and controlling costs to ensure events are delivered profitably
• Good network of business contacts
• Marketing experience advantageous, but we have marketing team that leads on this
• Experienced and proficient with ICT inc’ Microsoft and data management programmes.
• Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills able to develop new client relationships with a view to enhance opportunities for return business
• Able to engage and communicate at all levels of the organization, both internally and externally
• Driven by a strong sales ethic
• Proactive and highly motivated individual with good organizational skills, and ability to multitask
• Ambitious, confident and proactive with desire to continually learn on the job.
• Flexibility in working hours which includes both evenings and weekends as events and/or functions dictate
• Outgoing warm personality, with a strong will to succeed.
• Extremely detail-oriented with good planning skills.
• Ability to organise efficiently and prioritise work to meet deadlines.
• Ability to perform the role in a consistent and efficient manner.
The Society runs a staff pension scheme and healthcare scheme (after 3 months service) The Society offers 20 days paid holiday per year, plus Bank Holidays, and additionally……
The Society operates a 2-week Christmas & New Year shut down to account for increased workload associated with the organisation of the Royal Bath & West Show.
Working hours: There is basic working week of 36.75 hours spread equally across 5 days per week, but this role requires tremendous flexibility. Time off in Lieu (TOIL) is offered and not overtime.
This post is offered at a salary Band E – Specialist Technical delivery – £27,500 – £34,000
Should you wish to apply for this position with the Society, please email us your CV and cover letter to Rachel Freestone ( email@example.com ), or for more information on the scope of the role, please email the Chief Executive (Rupert.firstname.lastname@example.org)
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 18th March with interviews taking place on Monday 30th and Tuesday 31st March for a start date as soon as possible after this date depending on notice periods.